MS "breaking" Samba

Paul Leach paulle at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Tue Sep 26 16:57:38 GMT 2000

That just proves that the testing wasn't thorough enough to catch
whatever incompatibility was found.
Given the number of dialects of the SMB protocol, the variety of ways in
which clients use it, and so on, the test matrix is quite large, but
still no where near as large as the actual possibilities.

Most of our subtle errors are caught during what we call "dogfood"
testing -- when just about everyone in the whole company, and dozens of
outside comapanies, deploy pre-release versions of the software and use
it in their daily work. We did not do this level of testing against
Samba.

Paul