TNG-stable

Karl Denninger karl at Denninger.Net
Tue Sep 26 15:36:32 GMT 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:13:02PM +1000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > This might have had something to do with what drove Luke away......
>
> you got _that_ right in one guess.
>
> unfortunately, karl, i think that this is more that you are becoming
> tarred with the same brush.  i am sure it's nothing personal.

I don't care.  I have no horse in this race.

I do, however, strongly dislike these "projects" projecting an image of
being something they are not, and not conspicuously and prominently
displaying the limitations of what you can and cannot expect from them,
then "trading on" the heightened (and unrealistic) expectations they
have engendered for themselves.

Its not about money in the case of open source; it has to be about
personal ego gratification, since there's no money changing hands and
that's about all that's left.

The same thing goes on in commercial software development - but there
the demon is easily identified, since cash is changing hands in return
for those promises.

I get pretty snippy about this stuff wherever I find it.

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Cost-effective Consulting Solutions
http://childrens-justice.org	Working to protect children's rights