TNG-stable

Karl Denninger karl at Denninger.Net
Tue Sep 26 01:16:45 GMT 2000

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 06:00:09PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Karl Denninger wrote:
> >
> > No serious open-source project NEEDS to allow *WRITE* access to the
> > repository on an arbitrary basis.
> >
> > However, READ access to the *REAL* repository should be unrestricted.
> > If its not, or if you "vet" the repository before offering it to the public,
> > then its not open-source, no matter what you call it.
>
> Samba does not "vet" the repository in any way before
> it goes out the door via anonymous CVS.

Is the door open all the time?

> It is rsync copied from the master to a public staging
> area before release, but it is copied in total, not
> filtered in any way.

Not the same thing.

With FreeBSD I can get a DAILY update of every change to HEAD.  I can run
it too, if I dare (and dare is the right word, since it doesn't always even
build - say much less install)

If Samba's team provides less, then you ARE NOT an open development
environment.  If I cannot get the changes you check in 5 minutes after you
do it (should I poll the CVS server at that point in time) then you're
simply not an open project.

> What gave you the idea that the repository was filtered ?

You did.  You appeared to state that there were two repositories - one for
"privileged" people, and one for the rest.

If that's not what you meant, then I retract the criticism.

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Cost-effective Consulting Solutions
http://childrens-justice.org	Working to protect children's rights