TNG-stable

Karl Denninger karl at Denninger.Net
Tue Sep 26 00:58:29 GMT 2000

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 04:53:12PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Karl Denninger wrote:
> >
> > The truth is unhelpful?
> >
> > Get over yourselves.
>
> Karl,
>
> 	Saying "a bunch of cats fighting" is a personal opinion,
> not a truth.
>
> > Ah, so you're not a truly open-source project.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > You just made CERTAIN that I have no interest in helping you - unless,
> > of course, that policy changes.  <smile>
>
> No serious Open Source projects allow arbitrary *write* access
> to their code repositories.

No serious open-source project NEEDS to allow *WRITE* access to the
repository on an arbitrary basis.

However, READ access to the *REAL* repository should be unrestricted.
If its not, or if you "vet" the repository before offering it to the public,
then its not open-source, no matter what you call it.

> > If I ask a very reasonable question and get told to write it myself, I just
> > might, but why would I do it under YOUR auspices and with YOU being the
> > "head" of things?
>
> I'm not the "head" of things. That's Andrew :-). If you want it
> done faster, help, don't bother to complain. That wastes time for
> everyone. That's the basic philosophy.
>
> > Why not do it and tell YOU to go piss up that same rope?  What possible
> > incentive do I have to put up with the attitude as well as the technical
> > challenges?
> >
> > This might have had something to do with what drove Luke away......
>
> Karl, you know nothing of Luke's personal issues.

You're right.

But I don't need to.  I see the same kind of issues myself, and I'm not
even involved.

When they're that visible from this distance, they must loom large when you
get closer.

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Cost-effective Consulting Solutions
http://childrens-justice.org	Working to protect children's rights