MS "breaking" Samba

Paul Leach paulle at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Tue Sep 26 00:02:10 GMT 2000

We have never added any improvements (or non-improvements) to the
protocols in order to "break" Samba (or to affect it in any way at all).
We tested Win2k against Samba as a file server to make sure that it
continued to work as a "down-level" server, along with NT4, OS/2,
Windows 9x, and others. Of course, it (just like NT4) would not support
the new Windows 2000 features, by which we hope to entice our customers
to upgrade by providing new value to them.

Just to be clear: we didn't test Win2k against Samba as a DC; we did
test against NT4 DCs, however, so if Samba really does emulate all NT4
DC functionality, it should have been OK.

Paul