smbpasswd -> /etc/passwd

Aaron D. Brooks abrooks at css.tayloru.edu
Mon Sep 25 18:25:10 GMT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Brian Wilson wrote:

> Is there any way (a script, black magic, etc) to convert smbpasswd
> passwords to either shadowed or md5'd passwords?  I know there's a
> "unix sync password" option, but this doesn't work for me in the

[CUT]

The ubiquitous "someone" should put this sort of question (and answer) in
a FAQ or several FAQs on the samba.org site and mirrors. It seems to get
asked a lot. I'd volunteer but I don't know who manages the FAQs. I think
it would be appropriate to mention it at least in the SaMBa FAQ and the
SaMBa NT Domain FAQ.

-Aaron

+------->
Aaron D. Brooks,  765 . 998 . 5168, abrooks [SHIFT"2"] css.tayloru.edu
Computing Systems Resource Manager, Taylor University,  CSS Department
PGP public key: http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~abrooks/pgpkey/abrooks.asc
PGP key fingerprint = 75 83 D2 9C 44 C7 00 C8  07 A1 6C F0 BD 04 C0 60