problems finding server on network neighborhood

Kevin Chan kkc at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 25 16:00:38 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I just need someone to point me in the right direction.  Here's what is
happening.

I have two servers running samba, one strictly for file-sharing and the
other is for static webpages. Currently, both servers run Samba 2.0.6 (web
one is for our web admins, so they can use windows to modify files) and the
web server's samba configuration has the security = server option and the
password server is the main file server.

Now this has been working until recently when we had to move our
workstation computers, which were in the same subnet as the servers, to
another location with a different subnet.  And to make matters more
complicated, these computers are behind a DHCP server that we had to set up
due to a shortage of IP's at the new location.  So after this move, we now
cannot access the web server (though we can see it on Network
Neighborhood), but the regular server is just fine.

What I have noticed is that when someone tries to browse to the web server,
it looks like the computer is looking for something within the subnet.  So
perhaps the web server is just not broadcasting to the subnet, but I am not
sure how to fix this problem...

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Chan