Samba TNG-2.6: File permission problem

Tobias Manthey tmanthey at gmx.de
Sat Sep 23 23:58:35 GMT 2000

Hi all,
please anyone correct me when I state there is no other way to integrate
W2K Clients into a Samba Domain, than to use Samba-TNG?
If so can help me anyone with the following problem.
The follwing directory is shared among the clients

drwxrwxrwx   8 tobias   manager      4096 Sep 24 00:30 public

[public]
path = /usr/local/samba/shares/public
public = no
comment = Public Share
create mask = 775
directory mask = 775
writable = yes
force create mode = 774

My goal is to create directories to which an ordinary user can add files
but cannot overwrite the existing ones.

So my apporach was the following:
create a file below public:
-rw-r--r--   1 tobias   manager         0 Sep 24 00:44 test.txt

(note that a ordinary user does no belong to the group manager)
But I was kinda suprised that every user can delete this file. Even if it
belonds to root:root with 700 permissions. Is this a wanted behavior?
TIA
Tobias