IPChians and smb_auth

Jason Cook jasonc at dsgtech.com
Thu Sep 21 17:31:31 GMT 2000

Off the top of my head, no.  I don't think there is any way with smb_auth
to gather any info about groups.  Maybe its possible to grab group
membership info from the domain controller via rpcclient.  But even that way
may not be what you want.  You're going to have to grab that info, figure
out the user's host name or ip address and enter that into your ipchains
rules.  Provided you can get the group info, that shouldn't be terribly
hard.

Another option is to force them to go through a proxy.  Squid can use
multiple methods for authentication including PAM and flat files.  Downside
is the squid proxy doesn't know who the user is without them entering their
user name and password again.  IIRC there is a module for apache out there
that knows how to grab the correct credentials from the client, it might be
possible to adapt this to squid.

--
Jason Cook
PGP Fingerprint: D531 F4F4 BDBF 41D1 514D  F930 FD03 262E 5120 BEDD

Don't hate yourself in the morning - sleep till noon.