samba password verification without a domain?

Hugo Bouckaert hugo at fractalgraphics.com.au
Thu Sep 21 01:17:41 GMT 2000

Hi

I downloaded and installed samba 2.0.7 on an SGI box running Irix 6.5. I
was hoping to use the new feature, joining the NT domain, for samba
access password verification, so NT passwords can be used to access Unix
boxes in the network neighborhood.

However, we only have an NT workgroup, not an NT domain. On the
information pages regarding joining an NT domain, it states you have to
add the samba server to the primary domain controller for the NT domain.

Does this mean it is totally impossible to add a samba server to
individual NT computers in the workgroup, i.e. do yo have to have an NT
domain with a primary domain controller or is there a way to add the
samba server to individual NT boxes, so that from those, you can use
your NT password to access the samba share?

Any information/help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo

--
Dr Hugo Bouckaert