[OT] Programmatically converting a UNIX passwd hash to an MD5 hash?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Sep 20 16:52:55 GMT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Matthew Keller wrote:

> 	Sorry for the OT thread, but this is the brightest list I'm on. Anyone
> know how (I know it's possible as RedHat does it in their "upgrade"
> installers) to convert a standard UNIX hash to an MD5 hash?

It's not possible to convert a standard crypt() hash to an MD5 hash, any more
than it's possible to convert a crypt() hash to an NTLM hash.  However, it's
easy enough to add a hook to a program so that, after verifying that the user
has entered the correct password, the password file is updated with the md5
equivalent.  RedHat may leverage this, although I haven't seen it -- AFAIK,
the only thing they do is allow you to specify that all *new* passwords set
are encrypted with md5.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer