NIS authentication and smbpasswd

Tim Strobell - Asst Systems Admin syssys at math.umd.edu
Wed Sep 20 14:42:14 GMT 2000

Hi Simo!

Thanks for the reply.

 [ enabling plaintext passwords ]
 |>This prevent the use
 |>of domains (even samba or Windows DC refuses clear/text passwords).
Ouch. Since we've got NT4 clients, I don't think this will work out.

I tried NISGINA, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped it would.
We'd prefer roaming profiles. I tried to modify it to accept a generic
restricted account (authenticate via NIS passwd, but login as a different
user) but I couldn't get it to compile.

It looks like we'll have to stick with separate password 'domains' for now.

Tim

--
Tim Strobell - syssys at math.umd.edu - (301) 405-8175 - Fax (301) 314-0827
Assistant Systems Administrator