rpcclient stability

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Mon Sep 18 15:47:59 GMT 2000

Matthew Geddes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone using samedit/rpcclient to modify a live NT system? I know it
> works on a TNG box, but I'd like to edit the SAM on an NT box.
> Unfortunately, Windows machines are becoming more scarce and I don't
> have a box to test it on. I'd test it on the server, but I'd rather not
> kill our production PDC/file server.

Well, we aren't using it to edit a live NT system, but we are using
it in a read-only manner in production.  We use rpcclient from TNG
to authenticate users against an NT PDC's group list for squid
connections internally.  It has proven to work well thusfar, although
we are only using it on a small group of users right now.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com