NIS authentication and smbpasswd

Tim Strobell - Asst Systems Admin syssys at math.umd.edu
Fri Sep 15 17:47:49 GMT 2000

Howdy Gents,

I've set up 2.0.7 as a PDC for a small lab of NT4 machines.
We use NIS (not NIS+) for 'authentication' for our Unix machines.

Is there any way to set up a smbpasswd file (or configure samba) so that
Samba authenticates against the NIS password instead of the NT hash in the
smbpasswd file?

In other words, I can't logon unless I (manually) set my smbpasswd to match
my Unix passwd. I would like to roll this out as transparently as possible.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Tim

--
Tim Strobell - syssys at math.umd.edu - (301) 405-8175 - Fax (301) 314-0827