memory hungry smbd in samba-tng?

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Thu Sep 14 14:32:14 GMT 2000

	Depends on how the name mangling stuff is implemented, really.
Maybe the name is still required in the cache to prevent collisions when
other names are mangled... although, it'd need to avoid collisions with
previously unaccessed filenames too (meaning it needs to rescan the
directory), so that probably doesn't really buy much.

	This may not be the culprit, but it might be worth
re-examining/fixing anyway.

> I read though all the current bug/patch submissions and nothing seemed to
> point here ... I tried turning off name mangling but I could still crash
> the system and now people have arrived at work ( I have a ~1hr window to
> work with in the morning).
>
> does it sound like I'm chasing a ghost? csh suggestion came from someone
> on freebsd-questions who thought I should do a crash dump (trace) of smbd
> which is what I guess I'll do tommorow morning but this is definately
> getting complicated!

	These things invariably are.  I'm not really sure how much good a
crash dump will do in this case, though, except perhaps to examine in-core
data structures (which you could presumably do anyway by attaching a
debugger).

	Keep in mind that the code that puts you over the top is not
necessarily going to be the code that got you most of the way there.
(although it is still worth a try to see where it ends up)