win2k & smb

Jnp jnp at myoc.net
Wed Sep 13 15:23:50 GMT 2000

At 09:27 AM 9/7/00 +0100, Eoin Verling wrote:
>Whaooo ... hang on. I'm using Samba 2.0.7 as a PDC for WinNT clients.
>
>What you need to do is create machine accounts for the NT clients, on the
>samba machine (see the docs on the web site for how to do it) ... then
>create user accounts on the samba machine, then set your NT client to
>connect to your domain (whatever domain you decided in your smb.conf) and
>that's it!
>I haven't checked win2k, but am about to.

I use samba 2.0.7 as a PDC for win NT clients in a production environment
with over 100 workstations.  I am looking into win2k also.  The Samba Black
Book says it is possible, but you have to use plain text passwords, and to
the registry hack in
[hkey_local_mackine\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanworkstation\para
meters]
Add: EnablePlainTextPassword and set dword to 00000001  The latest samba
dist includes this as a reg file, so the book says.  Eoin, if you get it
working, please let me know, thanks!
-- John