TNG machine logon description?

Doug Morris doug at daynetwork.com
Wed Sep 13 12:49:54 GMT 2000

I'm looking for documentation describing the basic steps for setting
up TNG 2.6 as a PDC. In particular:

- What daemons to run, in addition to smbd/nmbd. (I've started
  everything ending in 'd').
- What accounts to add. Including the correct samedit syntax for both
  users and machines.
- How to connect the NT system to the domain.

It looks like there might've been a link to a page from here
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/ "How to configure Samba TNG
to allow domain logons from Windows NT", but that link is broken.
Also, I'm not sure if that was a link to an smb.conf configuration. I
believe my smb.conf is fine (included for completeness below, anyway),
at least, connections using smbclient work without a problem. However,
ntlogin connections in samedit fail with:

cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed. status: c0000022

Also possibly relevant: The system is named elevedelis, netbiosname
fileserver-muc. Workstation accounts exist for both fileserver-muc$
and elevedelix$, plus rainer_lap$ and rainer (a user and his
laptop). Accounts were created using samedit, and of course, also
exist in /etc/passwd. There is no administrator/root account in
smbpasswd, should there be?

If this isn't documented anywhere, and someone's willing to help
me work through this, I'd be happy to write it up myself, after I
have things working.

Please CC me on any responses so procmail can sort the mail where I'll
find it more easily.

--
Doug Morris
System Administrator

---[ smb.conf ]---------------------------------------------------------

[global]
        workgroup = DAY
        netbios name = FILESERVER-MUC
        server string = Samba Server in Day Munich

        security = USER
        domain logons = Yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        ;debug level = 3
        os level = 65
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes

        wins support = Yes
        time server = Yes
        dns proxy = Yes

	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        domain user map = /etc/samba/domainuser.map
        domain group map = /etc/samba/domaingroup.map
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        sam directory = /var/log/samba/sam
        smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
        max log size = 50