Access failed

Günter Bielenberg Bielenberg at t-online.de
Tue Sep 12 23:02:41 GMT 2000

Buchan Milne schrieb:

> Did you change the "User who may access this profile" before copying it
> to the samba PDC. THis is important, and needs to be set to your domain
> account.
>
> Buchan

hi,
thanks for your help. Since I was not able to copy the profiles to my
server again and set the rights correctly (but this is an other problem:
Windows tells me 'unknown profile', and this cannot be copied anywhere) I
got help from M$'s Knowledge Base:
Q158682: Shortcuts created under Windows NT 4.0 resolve to UNC paths.
(I got the german version
http://www.microsoft.com/IntlKB/Germany/Support/kb/D39/D39812.HTM?L, my
quotation may be incorrect)
Here they describe that links (I forgot to tell that I tried to open the
programs by clicking on a desktop icon) store the complete 'UNC-path' like
\\<computer>\C$, and the access from another computer fails, for this
absolute path is wrong on any other WS except the one, the link was created
on originally.
So this is a pure NT problem depending on a well-hidden function of that
OS. It also appears on NT-domains with an NT-server in it.

Günter