samba and dual homed hosts

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Sep 12 14:19:21 GMT 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de wrote:

> Working samba on a dual homed host I found the following
> problem:

> nmb serves both subnets. There is no routing between the
> subnets. There are five dual homed servers and one dual
> homed client. All other clients are single homed.

> I observed: nmb delivers wrong addresses to these single
> homed clients. Eg: a client in subnet 10.2.247.0/24 is
> handled an address in subnet 192.168.13.0/24 which it
> can't reach. These clients, in turn, can't connect to
> some of the servers.

> Is there a way starting nmb twice? Binding each instance
> to one subnet, not mixing both subnets in one instance
> as it is now?

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you can force nmbd to bind to only one interface using the commands 'bind
interfaces only = yes' and 'interfaces = <list of interfaces>' in your
smb.conf.  It's easiest to set up two smb.conf files, one for each of the
interfaces you want nmbd to bind to.  Then run:

smbd -D
nmbd -D
nmbd -D -s /path/to/other/smb.conf

And each subnet should see the right addresses.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer