What the hell???

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Sep 8 16:07:40 GMT 2000

Ken Barber wrote:

> Sir, I respectfully disagree.
>
> Samba 2.0.x is able to act as a file and print server only.  It cannot
> participate in trust relationships with other domains, cannot replicate
> account information to a BDC running NT Server, and cannot answer
> authentication requests from trusting machines -- it can only authenticate
> users for its own shares -- and is therefore not a PDC.
>
> If you only have a single domain (or don't need trust relationships with any
> other domain) and don't need to give its accounts any kind of rights or
> permissions on any machines other than itself, then Samba 2.0.x will serve
> you very nicely.  But it's still not a PDC.
>
> P.S.  Great .sig!  The trouble with all the Windows-bashing jokes is that
> most of them are true....
>
> Ken Barber
> Network Admin
> Northwest Christian College
> Eugene, Oregon USA

Oh man,
you are wrong.
2.0.x PDC support is weak, not supported and limited but it is
definitely a PDC.
I have an NT DOMAIN with samba 2.0.7 as Primary Domain Controller and it
works, of course I don't have Trust relationships and cannot you MS
tools to manage the PDC, but it WORKS and well.
And more, if you set badly the smb.conf it may show to NT4 workstation
as a BDC (and if you have a smbpasswd file sometimes it happens to
authenticate some user) but it will fail in 99% queries.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451