to tng or to head

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Fri Sep 8 01:53:02 GMT 2000

David Bear wrote:

> I'd like to use rpcclient to remotely control the NT sam -- remotely change a
> password on NT..  I currently use 2.0.7 but I know the rpc code is 'better' in
> tng and 'head?'.  Should I get head or tng? Isn't 'good' code merge from tng
> into head? and therefor head is more 'stable'?  which is what I want.

It really depends on how you are using Samba. Samba TNG is not
recommended for production use, but many of us do it anyway and have no
problems (the majority of problems are with compilation and
configuration - the latest code is quite good at the moment). I have
personally implemented Samba TNG for a number of organisations (sshhh!
don't tell the samba team!) and they have had no problems. If you just
need a file server, use Samba 2.0.x. If you are just wanting the
rpcclient side of things, install Samba TNG on your workstation (I am
assuming you have a Unix machine that is not a production server). The
documentation  in TNG is better for samedit/regedit/rpcclient (but of
course, I *would* say that ;-)).

Oh yeah, and we're here to answer any questions you need....

Hope it helps,
Matt

--

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager

...And by the way, Lars Kneschke's Samba TNG FAQ is at
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/index.php3