What the hell???

Ken Barber kenb at nwcc.edu
Thu Sep 7 18:42:34 GMT 2000

Sir, I respectfully disagree.

Samba 2.0.x is able to act as a file and print server only.  It cannot
participate in trust relationships with other domains, cannot replicate
account information to a BDC running NT Server, and cannot answer
authentication requests from trusting machines -- it can only authenticate
users for its own shares -- and is therefore not a PDC.

If you only have a single domain (or don't need trust relationships with any
other domain) and don't need to give its accounts any kind of rights or
permissions on any machines other than itself, then Samba 2.0.x will serve
you very nicely.  But it's still not a PDC.

P.S.  Great .sig!  The trouble with all the Windows-bashing jokes is that
most of them are true....

Ken Barber
Network Admin
Northwest Christian College