win2k & smb

Eoin Verling everling at comnitel.com
Thu Sep 7 08:27:36 GMT 2000

> > In smb.conf I've allowed the 192.168.1. subnet (I believe this is the
> > correct term).  I have security=user.  Do I need
> security=server?  If so,
> > and I specify the win2k machine as the NT-server-name, what do
> I need to do
> > to that machine to make it know that it is a password server?
> >
> > Thanks so much.
> >
> > Desperate in Palo Alto,
> >
> > neil
>
> You cannot use Samba 2.x as a PDC for WinNT /Win2k
>
> Matt

Whaooo ... hang on. I'm using Samba 2.0.7 as a PDC for WinNT clients.

What you need to do is create machine accounts for the NT clients, on the
samba machine (see the docs on the web site for how to do it) ... then
create user accounts on the samba machine, then set your NT client to
connect to your domain (whatever domain you decided in your smb.conf) and
that's it!

I haven't checked win2k, but am about to.

Eoin Verling            _/ \_   2200 Cork Airport Business Park,
SysAdmin               / \_/ \  Kinsale Rd., Cork, Ireland.
Comnitel Technologies  \_/ \_/  Ph: +353 21 7305608
everling at comnitel.com    \_/    Fax: +353 21 7305624