User Manager for Domains

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Tue Sep 5 23:36:45 GMT 2000

Jnp wrote:
> am running Samba 2.0.7 as a pdc, my workstations are NT4 clients.  When I
> go to User Manager for Domains, and click on the Administrators group, on
> the client box, so I can add the user as an Administrator of their own box,
> I can pick the User from the list, but then if I go back to the User
> Manager for Domains screen, it shows:

Samba 2.0.x does not support the many "advanced features" of windows NT
(all of the RPC stuff).

> MYOC\Account Unknown   (myoc is my domain name)  I think the problem may
> have something to do with the password files, because once before, there

Check your samba log files. It will tell you if this is the case.

> Also, is there a way to set up a main Administrator account so the admin
> could actually get into the hard drives of the users, to update software,
> etc?  I know you can set up an admin user to have access to all the samba
> shares, but can you do it so they can see the private shares (the user's
> hard drives).  I hear you can do that with an NT pdc, but I don't have an
> NT  domain controller, and don't really want one at the moment.  Thanks to
> all in advance!

Yes. I can't remember exactly how stable Samba works, but the
documentation does have it. You should also have a copy of 'Using Samba'
as part of your 2.0.7 distribution

Hope it helps,
Matt

--

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager

...And by the way, Lars Kneschke's Samba TNG FAQ is at
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/index.php3