memory hungry smbd in samba-tng?

Agent Drek drek at bigstudios.com
Fri Sep 1 17:36:33 GMT 2000

> > no printers. just 1 application that loads about 40 shared objects each
> > time it is launched and seems to get cached by the samba server (which
> > of course begins to grind to a halt)
> >
> 	hrm, afaiK, smbd doesn't do any cacheing, really, TNG or no.
>
> 	Forget how Windows deals with DLLs now, but it might be that it's
> doing some sort of memory mapping/locking deal that exercises smbd code in a
> way that exposes an otherwise unnoticed memory leak.

oh, this could be real bad then :(

> > > Are you actually running near OOM?
> > >

> > ?? not sure what you mean by 00M.
> >
> 	Out Of Memory, since you were talking about adding more swap...

ok. Yes, the box is running near OOM and swap grows and grows as each
instance of the application is launched. In general I find that the
smbd processes are large and always consume swap.

--
    Agent Drek

Big Animation Inc > 'digital plumber'
http://www.bigstudios.com