Two samba servers, same machine?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tue Oct 31 11:10:09 GMT 2000

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de wrote:

> > Yes, this is true, but only if you want identical
> > configurations! If you want different passwd backends
> > types for example you need to have two installations!
>
> OK. You mean having different smbpasswd files for each
> instance. Your right you need to samba installations
> with different install paths.
>
> In my opinion we really need some configuration options
> to have these configuration files reside in different
> positions in the file system, obsoleting necessity to
> recompile samba if we wish to have two instances of samba
> running.
>
> There is only on point to mention: it may be a security
> hazard to have an configuration option for smbpasswd
> making it more easy to gain access to something you
> should not have to...
>
> --
> Thomas

that's not exact!
If you need only separated smbpasswd files there's an option in smb.conf
file,
what I'm speaking is eg. to have one samba with ldap backend and another
with (my ;) tdbpass backend!

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451