How do i see Neighbouring Computers.

Kai Blin k.blin at gmx.net
Fri Oct 27 12:42:45 GMT 2000

* Muhammad Chatta <muhammadchatta at yahoo.com> [26/10/00, 10:57:42]:

> How  do i see the neighbouring computers on Linux
> machines and Linux machines on Winnt network
> neighbouhood ,in a  work group consisting of Linux and
> Winnt.

You mean like "network neighbourhood" on the NT machines?
Have a look at your favorite samba mirror:
eg.
	http://us4.samba.org/samba/GUI/

There you should find some GUIs

> What is needed to be installed on the Linux machines
> to see all other computers. And how do we share the
> directory or files from Linux machines..if we have not
> installed samba.

You should install the samba package of your distributor.
You can use nfs instead of samba, i think, but IIRC you can't browse with
this, so to have something like "network neighbourhood", you need samba and
a GUI for it.

HTH

Kai

--
Kai Blin, Sysop of the Dep. of Imunology of the University of Tuebingen
---