Inter-network Shares

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Oct 27 13:06:45 GMT 2000

Spire - Lim Poh Soon wrote:

> hi,
> the protocol(netbios) is not routable, use TCP/IP and make your Samba server
> route it between the networks
>
> pohsoon
>
> John Doe wrote:
>
> > I have somewhat of an unrelated question (i think).  I have a Samba server
> > linking two netBEUI networks.  Is there any way that i can be on one side of
> > the network and acess a share on a machine on the other side of the network
> > using Network Neighborhood?  I can acess the share if i manually map to the
> > share using an IP address, but i can not acess the shares using the
> > microsoft netBEUI network name of the machine (through network
> > neighborhood).  If anyone would have some idea it would be helpful... even
> > if you knew a place where i could post this message.

Well your are wrong here.
NetBios is the protocol layer that work over the others (NetBEUI,
TCP/IP, IPX)
Now, NetBEUI is not routable, but NetBios binded to TCP/IP will be
routed all over.

And more, if you have a samba server you should also use primarily
TCP/IP because samba is not able to follow elections on other protocols
(also Windows client have problems if some have a protocol and others
not) and this may cause problems to see correct  computer list in
Network Neighbourhood.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451