Help: smb 2.0.7 auth to w2k PDC

Rich Deeming rdeeming at sanshark.com
Thu Oct 26 20:30:40 GMT 2000

I am trying to get Samba 2.0.7 running under Solaris 7 to join our
Windows 2000 PDC. The Samba server has been added to the PDC as a
client.

When attempting to join the domain via smbpasswd I get the following
error. Why?
sambasrv root# smbpasswd -j CORPNT -r pdc
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
PDC. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2000/10/26 09:45:04 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain CORPNT.
Unable to join domain CORPNT.

All of the documentation that I have read indicate no Samba processes
should/need to be running when attempting to create the mac (machine
account password file).

I have through various attempts successfully created one mac file.
However I needed to change the domain name to something different and
now I can not create one at all.

This is what I currently have in my smb.conf file.

sambasrv root# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = CORPNT
        netbios name = SAMBASRV
        server string = Samba 2.0.7 server
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        lock directory = /etc/samba/locks
        interfaces = skge1
        hosts allow = 144.49.
        security = domain
        password server = pdc
        remote announce = 144.49.36.255/CORPNT 144.49.38.255/CORPNT

When running smbpasswd I copy smb.conf to its native place
/usr/local/samba/lib.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Rich Deeming