Hostname resolving

Christophe MAILHE christophe_mailhe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 15:58:24 GMT 2000

Dear all,

Is someone able to help me ?
I just install Samba 2.0.5.0 for AIX (AIX 4.3.2.0).
Basically I was looking for a free ware able to
resolve hostnames of windows NT workstations. I
actually have about 150 users connecting to AIX
servers using telnet sessions.
All Workstations are set to use NT DHCP server and the
only trace I have in the connection history are IP
Addresses.

1) Is it possible using Samba to make AIX resolving IP
addresses to hostnames ? I mean instead to have an IP
address in the logs or an IP address when you run the
who command, to have the correct hostname.

2) Is it possible using Samba to make AIX resolving
hostnames to IP Addresses, when you run a ping command
for example. If today I try to ping a workstation
using is hostname, if I don't create a enrty in the
AIX host file, the system will reply : ping - host
name NOT FOUND.

Christophe MAILHE.
AIX Administrator.