NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT

Melon, Jack MelonJ at SJHS.com
Wed Oct 25 17:54:33 GMT 2000

I'm using samba-2.0.4b-19990519 and am trying to become a member of an NT
domain. I've read the Samba, smbpasswd, & smb.conf man pages, NTDomain FAQ
and the documents that accompany Samba-2 (i.e. DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt, Win95.txt,
WinNT.txt).

When I try to Log-on the CORPORATE domain by:
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd
# smbpasswd -j CORPORATE   [or smbpasswd -j CORPORATE -r VLDPDC1]

I get:
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
VLDPDC1. Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
2000/10/25 13:31:28 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain CORPORATE
Unable to join domain CORPORATE

When I asked the NT Admin to add "Linux" to the NT domain on the PDC using
Server Manager for Domains, his response was, "Linux is already in my Server
Manager list as a Windows NT 4.2 Server with a description of Linux smb
Server in Engineering." He has also made a reference to the older MS Lan
Manager Client and that he's had problems in some cases where he had to have
IPX installed (802.3 frame type) in addition to TCP/IP before domain logon
was successful.

My smb.conf includes:
workgroup = CORPORATE
server string = Linux smb Server in Engineering
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba-log%m
max log size = 50
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
locking = yes
strict locking = yes
share modes = yes
security = domain
password server = VLDPDC1
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
wins server = 10.102.7.71
;====== Share Declarations (snipped for this message, but...) =====
; [netlogon]
; All lines below [netlogon] are commented out - JDM

Any help is appreciated.

Jack