AW: SAMBA and NT Terminal Server

Charles N. Owens owensc at enc.edu
Wed Oct 25 13:48:25 GMT 2000

Howdy... I've missed some of this discussion but can't help chiming in...

Bart... it seems as if you're looking for someone to tell you if NT-TS (and
Win2K Terminal Services) and Metaframe plays well with Samba PDC.  To this I
can say a definite yes!  For about a year and a half I've had 3
NT4-TS/Metaframe servers that are supported by a Samba PDC with LDAP
backend.  I'm using old HEAD branch code from back then... there are a few
kinks but in general it works very well.

[In fact this message is typed in Netscape Communicator running in the TS
environment, viewed via the Citrix ICA client running on my FreeBSD
workstation.  :-)]

We're slowly gearing up for a migration to Terminal Services/Metaframe under
Win2000 Server.  I fully expect that this will work, to the extent Win2000
in general works with a Samba PDC (either Samba-TNG or the lastest HEAD
branch stuff).  Obviously either option is still very much a work in
progress but that is a reality that I've lived with for over 1.5 years now
and it hasn't kept me from getting the job done (thanks Samba developers!!).

Other tidbits:  We're currently supporting about 100 client stations...
about half are heavily used.  Once we're got Win2K in place we'll be quickly
ramping this up to 300 users.   ... Our primary server OS is FreeBSD.

I'm interested to see some folks making use of NISGINA.  It was one of the
options that I considered before going with the Samba PDC.  Has there been
any recent development with NISGINA... such as support for Win2000 ?

cno

  Charles N. Owens                               Email: owensc at enc.edu
                                            http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx