NetBEUI share between networks

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Sun Oct 22 05:08:30 GMT 2000

There are really two issues, browsing and NetBEUI.  NetBEUI is the
easiest to dispense with.  In a word, NO!  The only reason you're able
to access them at all is that they are using both NetBEUI and IP for
networking.  NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol designed for small,
localized networks.  It is not accessible across a router.  At our
site, NetBEUI is turned off completely (less junk in the segments) and
we use IP exclusively.

The Network Neighborhood issue is a browsing issue and not a NetBEUI
issue.  The Master Browser on a segment finds out what's out there
because when a Wundows client machine comes up on line it broadcasts
that information and the Master Browser hears the broadcast and records
it.  The WINS server likewise picks that up.  Generic broadcasts,
however, don't cross network boundaries (on some routers you can enable
the forwarding of directed broadcasts, but that's a very different
animal).  In order for machines in network "B" to see network "A" in
Network Neighborhood (and also for "A" to see "B"), the Master Browsers
must share information with each other.  We run across five different
segments and everybody can pretty much see everybody.

-- Rob

--On 10/21/00 04:28:35 PM +0000 John Doe <c2z4s9 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am running a Samba 7.0 Server between two networks that use
> NetBEUI. I was wondering if it would be possible to access NetBEUI
> shares between networks.   As it stands now, i can't acess the shares
> from any machine on either side of the Server through Microsoft's
> Network Neighborhood, but i can if i specify an IP address when
> manually mapping to a network drive.

> http://profiles.msn.com.

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  UNIX and Networks Manager
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <rtanner at linfield.edu>