Dialing into a Linux "RAS" server

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 14:58:02 GMT 2000

> Problem
> >From a non-DUN client, I can see the RedHat server from Network Neighborhood
> complete with its shares.  I can also send messages from the Linux server to
> specific NT workstations.  When I test with a DUN, I connect, login to the
> Linux server, type PPP, and hit the Continue button.  This works: the
> terminal screen disappears, the DUN says that it's verifying username and
> password.  _However_, when that process is done and the DUN icon is in the
> system tray, I cannot browse the Network Neighborhood.  It's almost like
> ppp, mgetty, or something with the DUN client is blocking Samba
> capabilities.

1/ Is your Linux PPP server actually routing packets onto your network.
Can you ping things on your internal network?

2/ Assuming this is working, then what you're seeing is expected
behaviour. Microsoft implemented browsing on a broadcast model in
Windows, so it fails as soon as you stick a router in the picture. You
need to provide your dial up machine with a functional method of
resolving NetBIOS names. Your options are judicious use of lmhosts
files, a WINS server, or various other networking tricks.

HTH,

Mike.