Login Win95 into NT server through SAMBA

Patrick Ouellette ouellep at algonquincollege.com
Mon Oct 16 19:50:50 GMT 2000

At 05:48 PM 16/10/00 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
>I think you're going about this in the wrong way. As far as I
>understand, the only reason you are using the linux box is to join 2
>subnets. Surely, then, the best option would be to run a WINS server,
>make sure all your machines pn both subnets can see the WINS server, and
>do use it for lookups. Then you can log into the domain directly.

Not quite. I need to have a Win98se, and 2 RH Linux 6.2 machines that need
to be connected to an existing subnet (205.211.53.*)
The only thing I want is for the Win98se machine to be able to login to the
NT domain, have the login batch file on the NT server execute for notices
and virus scans (these first two are working now), and be visible on the
Network Neigbohood for everyone else along with the shared printer on the
Win98se box and the shared drive/dirs on the win98se box...

>As long as TCP/IP works between the subnets (ie you can ping the WINS
>server from any machine) WINS should help you with this.

That's what I thought, so I even included the IP of the WINS server for
SAMBA...
But, nope, I don't show up on the network ...

Sincerely,

Patrick Ouellette

Algonquin - Rideau Campus Room B206b
Phone: (613) 727-4723 ext 5904 / (613) 851-0873
E-Mail: pat at myrrdin.com / ouellep at algonquinc.on.ca
Web: http://www.algonquincollege.com/staff/ouellep