[Fwd: Re: Login Win95 into NT server through SAMBA]

Buchan Milne bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Mon Oct 16 16:48:06 GMT 2000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Login Win95 into NT server through SAMBA
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:48:50 +0200
From: Buchan Milne <bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za>
To: Patrick Ouellette <ouellep at algonquincollege.com>

I think you're going about this in the wrong way. As far as I
understand, the only reason you are using the linux box is to join 2
subnets. Surely, then, the best option would be to run a WINS server,
make sure all your machines pn both subnets can see the WINS server, and
do use it for lookups. Then you can log into the domain directly.

As long as TCP/IP works between the subnets (ie you can ping the WINS
server from any machine) WINS should help you with this.

Buchan

--
Cellphone                                           +27824722231
email                               mailto:bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Centre for Automotive Engineering           http://www.cae.co.za
South Africas first satellite:        http://sunsat.ee.sun.ac.za
Control Models                          http://www.control.co.za