newbie question

Buchan Milne bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Thu Oct 12 11:16:21 GMT 2000

It depends what for.

The first issue is that anyone accessing the linux box via samba (except
guests or on share-level authentication link win9x) or any other non
anonymous/virtual service needs a unix account on the machine.

If you only want then to access the box via Network Neighbourhood, they
also need an smb account. Since you have a PDC, you can get them
authenticated off the PDC, by joining the machine to the domain. At this
stage, you will have to have a machine account made on the PDC, and then
join using "smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC".

If you want to authenticate users for other services (proxy, telnet/ssh)
using the same password, you will need to look into things like pam_smb
and auth_smb and the upcoming winbind. Alternatively they can maintain a
unix password if they need real logins (ssh, telnet etc)

On that note, does anybody have a quick description of winbind ? I have
just set up our mail server, and would like to authenticate users off
out samba pdc. Should I go the pam_smb route, or wait for winbind ?

Regards,
Buchan

--
Cellphone                                           +27824722231
email                               mailto:bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Centre for Automotive Engineering           http://www.cae.co.za
South Africas first satellite:        http://sunsat.ee.sun.ac.za
Control Models                          http://www.control.co.za