printing woes redhat 6.2

Roman, James (J.D.) jroman6 at ford.com
Wed Oct 11 15:46:14 GMT 2000

I've also had the same issue, but ended up using CUPS instead.  I chose this
primarily because I needed to get driver for an HP Plotter (which
unfortunately I had to pay for).  All in all the solution has been pretty
stable.  I think the root of the problem may have to do with other devices
printing to the LPD service on the Jetdirect card.  I don't think the LPD
code reacts well when it is not the sole source of print jobs submitted to
the JetDirect card.  (I don't know if this is actually a Red Hat issue or an
LPD issue.)  I also had some similar experience when some one stole the IP
that was assigned to the printer and decided to use it for their PC. I used
a sniffer to find out that the hardware address of the device that was
receiving the requests was not the same as the printer's HW address.