Samba took over my NT domain - now I can't get it back.

greg.helwig at acterna.com greg.helwig at acterna.com
Tue Oct 10 22:36:31 GMT 2000

David,
What other obstacles do I need to be aware of if I switch from "domain" to
"server" security. Will I need to tweak anything else?

Thanks,
Greg

iddwb <David.Bear at asu.edu> on 10/10/2000 01:31:02 PM

To:   Greg Helwig/IS/TTC/US at Global
cc:

Subject:  Re: Samba took over my NT domain - now I can't get it back.

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 greg.helwig at acterna.com wrote:
> This will not work in my case. I am using Samba with the "security = DOMAIN"
> option. Therefore I cannot change the domain/workgroup to a different name. If
> do this, I will not be able to authenticate to my password server.

not really.  set security=domain probably start a netlogon service... you
don't want that. set
security=server
and
password server="NTdomainController"

let me know what happens

> [...]
> to a different domain, the NT side of things ran smoothly. Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Philip
>
> > I am currently running samba 2.07 on Solaris X86 (5.7). Originally when I
> > started Samba in my NT environment, I set "prefered master = yes" and set
the
> > browse election to 65. Eventually I ran into problems whereas my NT
> workstations
> > would/could not authenticate to my PDC. Since then, smb.conf has been
changed
> > read "prefered master = no" and ""os level = 0", but I am still having
> problems
> > with many more of my machines accross our NT domain.
> >
> > Some of the oddities are...
> > ...WINS database needs to be purged and rebuilt periodically.
> >
> > ...Our NetApp box loses its status as a NT server on the domain, rendering
it
> > unusable - this needed to be readded in server manager several times and
> > eventually bounced.
> >
> > ...Two of our BDCs were randomly promoted to PDC. At one time we had 2 PDCs
on
> > the domain at once. Our PDC lost its status and was demoted. The funny thing
> > about this is that at no time, other than the original master browser
problem,
> > did any of our NT servers point a finger at our Samba server as the source
of
> > the problem.
> >
> > ...Many of our workstations, accross the country, cannot authenticate
against
> > the domain (PDC).
> >
> > I have included the pertinent information from my smb.conf file. If anyone
has
> > any ideas as to what I need to do to regain controll of my NT domain, please
> Samba
> > turned off to determine if the problems still exist.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.....
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > [global]
> >            client code page = 437
> >            workgroup = ADA
> >            netbios name = LORE
> >            server string = Samba Server
> >            security = DOMAIN
> >            encrypt passwords = Yes
> >            allow trusted domains = No
> >            password server = nt_com
> >            log file = /opt/samba/var/log.%U
> >            max log size = 50
> >            name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
> >            deadtime = 5
> >            socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> >            load printers = No
> >            logon path =
> >            logon home =
> >            os level = 0
> >            lm announce = False
> >            lm interval = 0
> >            local master = No
> >            browse list = No
> >            dns proxy = No
> >            wins server = 149.154.36.49
> >            invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail

David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU