Problem with 2.1.0-prealpha overheating!

Swingewood P P.Swingewood at city.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 16:10:33 GMT 2000

Hi,

we have a 2.1.0-prealpha samba install running on a sparc under solaris
2.7 acting as a PDC for around 200 users.

This has worked fine since we installed it around April, however it has
recently gone a bit crazy and we are experiencing massive cpu spikes on
the system which results in lots of lost connections for our users.

The machine has 640M of memory and multiple SCSI controllers with fairly
fast disks and certainly has performed fine before.

The symptoms are that a lot of samba processeses seem to try and become
active at once and come out of swap into memory causing a bottleneck on
the system.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also what are the PDC features of 2.7 as we think it might be an idea to
move to this as TNG is no longer being developed...?

Pete

Peter Swingewood
Systems Team
City University Business School