Maping NT Groups to Unix Goup

Yariv Gringold y.gringold at orades.nl
Tue Oct 10 10:08:01 GMT 2000

Hallo

I am trying to map NT groups to Unix groups via the username map file so
that I can grant access to Samba shares simply by adding users to a group on
the NT side.  On the Unix side, the group has permissions to the directory,
but the user has not been added to the actual UNIX group.

    I am having trouble getting this to work and the documentation seems to
be giving me conflicting information.  I first looked in the O'Reilly book
"Using Samba" that came with the distribution.  In section 6.2.3.1 "username
map" it says:  "You can also map NT groups to one or more specific Unix
groups using the @ sign."  In the HTML documentation, it says something
completely different.  In the section on "username map" it says:  The list
of usernames on the right may contain names of the form @group in which case
they will match any UNIX username in that group".  Further down it
continues:  "Or to map anyone in the UNIX group "system" to the UNIX name
"sys" you would use:

Our username.map simply looks like:

group = NTGROUP

When I look hat the smbstatus I see that the uid and gid are the same under
the uid

We have samba a Linux (Debian) with samba 2.0.7.
It’s only work if I force group but then I loos my security

Please if you can advise in any way.
Thanks

Yariv