ONCE AGAIN ---> UNABLE TO "./CONFIGURE samba-tng-alpha.2.6"

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 09:07:21 GMT 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Elsa Nwanry wrote:

> checking configure summary
> ERROR: No locking available. Running Samba would be unsafe
> configure: error: summary failure. Aborting config'

I don't know about RedHat 6.2 in particular, but I know of a couple of
common causes of this:

* Some platforms appear to require you to run configure as root,
  rather than as a normal user.

* This message is sometimes seen if the current directory is on an
  NFS filesystem and NFS file locking isn't working properly. If you
  are attempting to build in an NFS mounted directory, try moving
  to a local filesystem.

The other thing that I would suggest is consulting config.log, to see if
you can determine why the test failed (sometimes locking really is
unavailable, sometimes the program which performs the test has failed to
build for some reason).

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology