Login Script & access to Win95 shares across SAMBA

Patrick Ouellette ouellep at algonquincollege.com
Fri Oct 6 16:57:38 GMT 2000

At 04:56 PM 10/5/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Is the NT box the PDC?  If it is then it will authenticate your login, not
>SAMBA, and your login script should run fine.  Samba can't be a BDC (at
>least in 2.0.7).  In the smb.conf you need to set
>domain logons = no (NT will authenticate)
>domain controller = nameofNTcontroller
Yes, one of the the boxes is the PDC, along with 4 BDC's and a WINS box.
I'll try those control lines.

>Now, even though you have a resource tied to a Win95 box, if you want Samba
>to administer it, it must be set up there.  ie. for a shared printer, you
>must use printtool to create an entry in /etc/printcap for the printer, and
>create a printer share (you can simply uncomment the one that is in the
>default smb.conf, but you may have to tune the print command =  for your
>specific printer.  I have this exact scenario with a printer shared through
>Samba that is attached to a Win95 machine.

It's not that I want SAMBA to adminster it, but I see no other way, short
of using port forwarding, to allow people to access my shares on my Win95
box than to do it through SAMBA ... just not 100% certain how.

Sincerely,

Patrick Ouellette

Algonquin - Rideau Campus Room B206b
Phone: (613) 727-4723 ext 5904 / (613) 851-0873
E-Mail: pat at myrrdin.com / ouellep at algonquinc.on.ca
Web: http://www.algonquincollege.com/staff/ouellep