to samba basher

Michael Holopainen michael at laserle.fi
Fri Oct 6 15:51:30 GMT 2000

Normally I would not get into these things, but after reading 3. letter
similar letter from the same person.

It really annoys me when some _______ (fill in adjective) whines about
samba shortcomings and then bash people that have made great
contribution to IT world = SAMBA.

1. SAMBA team CLEARLY states that samba is a working progress. And still
it beats heck out of ANY MS products.

2. There is samba provides list of feature NOT YET implemented on x.x.x
release and also what it can do. When have you seen micros**t
advertising their products truthfully.

3. PRIORITIES !! I bet many Network admins would be satisfied with with
server that provides only file & print services AND ACTUALLY WORKS
!!!!!!!!!!! than server full of mickeymouse s**t like internet explorer
& mp3player + webtv_client.

4. I have set up samba servers to two different companies to act as NT
PDC (ok, maybe they do not provide all stupid gimmicks that ms has
integrated into server, BUT ), in last 2 years there has been one
problem that MIGHT have been samba related and #¤#¤%%#¤# (a bad word)
many problems with #%&#%&%& (oops, another) M$ winblows workstations.

5. "roaming profiles" , as I understand samba_TNG supports them, I
haven't had time to try it myself, I HAVE BEEN TOO #%¤&#¤&% BUSY fixing
constantly crashing winblows workstations.
I have been too kind to users, but now I started using image cast.
"Where are my files ? What happened to that program I installed ?"
-"They are gone, gone forever, aah, hah hah, haa. You should have read
the email, telling not to save anything on local disk."

If I was offered a choise between getting NT Server Licence for free or
downloading samba which one would would you think I'dd choose ?

- I'dd take the NT license AND I would sell it to some poor sucker and
continue using samba myself.

To person calling samba team "dense" :
--------------------------------------
"Therefore Samba (current) provides NOTHING that can assist me"
-THAT I believe, have you tried medication ? ;)

"Hundreds of MS windows workstations..."
-hah, you deserve that.

To Samba Team :
---------------
I think SAMBA team is doing great work and do not need to listen whining
of a _______.
I love samba, and I'm in great debt of gratitude to samba team, keep up
the good work.

P.S.
   Oh BTW, how much did you pay for samba ?

P.S.S.
If you bitch this much for soft that you get for free, I wonder what you
have to say when you spend 2000-3000 usd on NT server licence plus
another 2000 for hardware that that do not choke under that that bloaded
piece of .... (I couldn't think of nothing printable)

--
   --"Would you fly on airplane controlled by MS Windows ?"--
| Michael Holopainen | Valuraudantie 25 | Tel: +358-(0)9-35093825  |