TNG 2.6 PDC problems

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 11:20:31 GMT 2000

Hi Folks,

As part of my attempts to contribute with the TNG -> HEAD domain control
merging effort, I have compiled and installed 2.6-alpha (on a
SPARCstation, running Solaris 8).

I've read through Lars Kneschke's HOWTO and FAQ pages, which have helped
(thanks Lars!), but still I'm having some problems configuring my server
properly.

The NetBIOS name of my server is HAL. My domain/workgroup is PHYSIOL_TNG.
I attach a copy of my smb.conf file at the bottom of this message.

I have run samedit as root on the local machine ("samedit -S . -U root"),
and successfully created some local user accounts and workstation trust
accounts. I can connect to and use services on the machine if my
workgroup/domain is set to HAL ("samedit -S HAL -U root -W HAL",
"smbclient -L hal -U username -W HAL", connect to file shares from an NT
client using "hal\username" as the username in the "connect as"
dialogue). I've even manage do join NT and W2K machines to the domain,
using "hal\root" as the username used in the joining process.

My problem is that whenever I try to make any form of connection to the
server using domain/workgroup PHYSIOL_TNG (domain login after successful
joining, or samedit/smbclient with "-W PHYSIOL_TNG") then the server
just spawns more and more netlogind processes until it runs out of
virtual memory.

I have a feeling that I've missed something important in configuring
things, but after several days of messing about and reading and
re-reading all the docs that I can find, I can't figure out what!
If anyone has any ideas, or more documentation pointers, I'd really
appreciate a push in the right direction ...

Alternatively: are there any known problems with TNG 2.6 or TNG on
Solaris that I ought to be aware of?

; smb.conf

[global]

   security = user
   workgroup = PHYSIOL_TNG
   encrypt passwords = yes
   domain logons = yes

   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 33

   wins server = 163.1.248.153
   logon drive = p:
   logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
   logon path = \\%N\%U\ntprofile
   logon script = logon.bat

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
   max open files = 1000
   debug level = 10

   local group map = /opt/local/samba-tng/private/localgroup.map

[netlogon]
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   path = /opt/local/netlogon
   read only = yes

[homes]
   browseable = yes
   comment = Home Directory
   create mask = 0755
   directory mask = 755
   read only = no

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology