The reason we can't continue using Samba

Steve Langasek vorlon at
Thu Oct 5 21:24:05 GMT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Joe Rhett wrote:

> > > But if you say that you can't possibly make it before September, then we
> > > start implementing another strategy NOW ...

> > I'm not making your decisions for you. *YOU* have to decide
> > when it meets your needs. *YOU* need to monitor the development
> > process, and watch the announcements - and test if it meets
> > your needs.

> You're asking for us to wait until the very last minute to find another
> plan and implement that instead. My god, you really have no useful
> production experience do you? Have you ever worked on an upgrade path that
> took more than a day?

I thought it was pretty clear that he was *not* asking you to wait until the
very last minute to find another plan.  You want him to speculate on delivery
dates, and he won't do that.  Why would you even consider waiting around at
all? Samba is not the perfect solution for everyone (at least not yet).  If
you can't risk that Samba PDC support will be delayed, then you can still
deploy a Microsoft solution now.  Why get mad at the Samba team for that?

The PDC code will be there when it's there.  When it is, maybe re-evaluating
your infrastructure wrt Samba will be worth doing.  In the meantime, screaming
at the Samba team for not telling you when they think PDC support will be done
isn't going to help anybody.

It could certainly be worse; at least this isn't vaporware.  They aren't
promising you something they can't deliver, because they're not promising
you anything at all.  All you have is their statement of intent to get PDC
support into Samba ASAP.  If you're unhappy with that, I'm sorry; but having
this argument isn't going to get PDC support done any faster.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

More information about the samba-ntdom mailing list