TNG 2.5/2.6 authentication problems with win2000 pro

Gavin Atkinson gavin at ury.york.ac.uk
Tue Oct 3 09:51:30 GMT 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to set up samba TNG to authenticate logons for two win2000 pro
boxes. Currently I am using version 2.5 on FreeBSD 4.0 with the attached
smb.conf file. All the daemons are started, and I have managed to get the
w2k box to join the domain. However when I try to login, i get the
message:
" Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
machine"

The netlogon service is indeed running on the win2k box (its set to start
automatically) and the netlogond daemon is running on the server. Enabling
logging at level 20 shows nothing more than correct daemon startup,
(nothing is appended to it when I attempt to authenticate).

I do have this other worrying problem:

(on the samba server)
ury3$  smbclient '\\ury3\tmp'
added interface ip=144.32.108.83 bcast=144.32.109.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
Password:
failed session setup
failed session setup
ury3$

(from a samba 2.0.7 server)
ury$  smbclient '\\ury3\tmp'
added interface ip=144.32.108.81 bcast=144.32.109.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[URY3] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-alpha]
smb: \>

Is this problem linked with my other problem? I have tried recompiling but
it never helped. I have also tried using TNG 2.6 - this also suffered with
the above smbclient problem, but I could not even get the w2k box to join
my domain...

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

--
"My doctor told me to stop having dinners for four people -
   Unless there are three others"          - Oscar Wilde

Gavin Atkinson     Assistant Computing Officer     University Radio York.