Problem accessing a Samba server from W2K

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Nov 27 19:08:24 GMT 2000

It's probably that you are not using encrypted passwords (this is the
error NT gives in this situatuion).

Read docs/TEXTDOCS/ENCRYPTION.TXT:

basically:
1)Enable encrypted passwords
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd 	#(or other location)
2)make smbpasswd for all users who will need access to samba:
smbpasswd -a <user_name>

You can also reg-hack the windows boxes if you need plain-test, but you
can not do this if you need domain support.

Also, you should upgrade to 2.0.7 (it fixes some problems with w2k)

Buchan