PAM, Encrypted passwords and samba

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Nov 24 22:29:09 GMT 2000

>I've been busy with building support for MySQL in samba, but why
>isn't it possible to use samba, encrypted passwords and PAM? I
>know PAM doesn't return an encrypted password, but can't we
>encrypt the password we get from PAM ?

Because you don't get a password from PAM,  you pass a word to
PAM and it return success or failure of the auth static with the
given word.

>It would solve many things if we could use these three easy
>things together, since all PAM modules would become available
>then(under Linux and Solaris).

There really isn't a problem.  There is a PAM module for smb
that can be used against a samba server.  Samba can sync any
password changes to any data source you can dream up.