ideas for avoiding 'remote procedure call failed and did not execute' error

albert braun albert_b at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 19 20:52:07 GMT 2000

Hi

I'm posting this because it took me a long time to find the solution to
my problem of making W2K professional and Samba 2.0.5 to talk to each
other nicely. I kept getting a 'remote procedure call failed and did not
execute' error even though I had set 'encrypt passwords' = 'Yes'.

It took a while to discover that I needed to set two additional
parameters to 'no' in order to really make it work.

In short, the three settings below worked for me, and may also be useful
to you if you're trying to make a new W2k box talk to an existing samba
server.

Set these three parameters in smb.conf:

          encrypt passwords = Yes
          nt smb support = No